The Microtransat Challenge
Boat Details - Dalhousie University 2016
- Team Name: Dalhousie University
- Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
- Boat Name: Dalhousie Tiger
- Intended Route: West to East
- Length: 1.8 m
- Weight: 50 kg
- Beam: 0.5 m
- Draft: 0.4 m
- Hull type: The hull design of the Tiger is modeled after a full-keel cruising sailboat. Hull construction is Kevlar-Carbon hybrid cloth, with foam ribs and internal bracing for additional structure.
- Sail Type: Sloop rig, using a single sail actuator to control both main and jib sheet.
- Power source: 19x Eagle Picher PT 2300 Keeper II D size Lithium Thionyl 3.6 V 19 Ah Batteries. Arranged to give a system voltage of 14.4 V and a total capacity of 361 Ah
- Actuators: Custom built actuators using geared brushless motors with position and speed feedback.
- Sensors: LCJ Capteurs CV7 Wind Vane, Honeywell HMC6343 Compass and MTK3339 GPS.
- Communications: 2 Xeos ONYX-R trackers using the Iridum satellite network.
- Computers: Atmel ATSAMD20J18 microcontroller.